From ‘Bygone Stalybridge’ by Samuel Hill, 1907:
“BUCKLEY OUSEY, R.C.A.
Buckley Ousey was born in Castle Street, Stalybridge,
in the year 1851, his father, who died a few weeks
before our subject came into the world, being
a clerk at Castle Street Mills. Whilst the future
artist was a child, his mother also passed away, and the
lad was from that time resident with his aunt, Mrs.
Whitehead, in King Street.
He commenced work early at the mills of Albert Hall,
Esq., and remained there up to their closing, when he
found employment at the North End Mills, using his
spare time in sketching, drawing, and painting. His
artistic career was a continued struggle against adverse
circumstances, until within a short period of his death.
On one occasion a number of local gentlemen sent him
to North Wales to paint, and later still a Bolton admirer
undertook to assist him, sending him to Antwerp, where
he pursued a course of study. Then it was that success
at last appeared certain, and his work began to find
ready purchasers ; commissions poured in, but another
fact asserted itself, for it became apparent that a fatal
disease existed in his frame. At the tim.e of his death,
4th February, 1889, he had unexecuted commissions
which would have yielded a large sum of money. He
left a widow and eight children. In ^larch, 1890, an
exhibition of paintings, etc., chiefly by Mr. Ousey, for
the benefit of his widow and family, was opened by the
then Mayor, Alderman J. Ridyard, in the Stalybridge
Town Hall, which realised a very acceptable sum.
Buckley Ousey was buried at Conway, North Wales,
and was followed to his last resting place by a large
number of his brother members of the Royal Cambrian
Academy of Water Colour Artists.”